Monday, May 4, 2015

News from Paraskevi



Here is yesterday's email from Chris keeping those of us who will soon be joining him apprised of plans in the village:

 
Hello Everyone!

I hope you are all getting excited about the trip.  Everyone certainly is here in the village.  Today I went to Paraskevi and sat with some more of our Papanikolaou cousins.  News Flash:  One of the older women brought out a box of photos she said was sent to her/given to her by Gregory Pappas.  I had never seen ANY of these photos before.  She was nice enough to loan them to me so I can make copies in a neighboring town tomorrow.

Helen, she has a fantastic photo of (I think) your mother and Uncle Pete.  She also had some very old photos of all the Papanikolaous (Gregory's brothers and sisters) in a group photo.  Also a very old photo of what looks like Venizelos  (in his uniform) with Gregory and Bess, and I think a very young Aunt Helen and others.  This is how you find family treasures and history by talking to these very old Greeks.

I visited the hotel today (Porto Valitsa).  They're anxious for our arrival.  It's off season here, so the cliffside bar won't be open, but the view from their restaurant is pretty spectacular.  Our cousin Nikos helped build this place.

Family Reunion Update:  We have a three piece Greek traditional group playing, also the local community is providing their dance troupe to perform for us. We are tentatively looking at starting the party at 8:00 p.m..  Definitely bring a light jacket (the nights are still cool in the hills). The party will be outside.   I'm working on the menu tomorrow.  It will, of course, involve some sort of animal roasted whole, plus lots of other food.  I'd recommend long sleeves and pants/long dresses since Paraskevi is close to the water and there are mosquitoes.  (we are looking at getting the area sprayed before the party).  Men:  Definitely a button up shirt.  They are preparing a banner welcoming everyone.  Believe it not they're considering fireworks... (Please don't expect anything resembling what we do in the U.S.). 

Uncle Christos will be joining us in Athens.  He's so excited to see all of you, he couldn't wait for you to get to Paliouri.  Seen here with my father, so you'll recognize him.  He's lived a hard life as a farmer, bee keeper, and has survived three wars, and is arguably the nicest person you will ever meet.  See photo below with Uncle Theo and Uncle Christos.

That's it for now.  Anymore and I'm sure I'll overload the entire Internet network in Greece.  I literally have to hold my laptop out the window to get a strong enough signal to send e-mails.  



Love to all...

Chris and Uncle Theo (soon to be joined by many others)



No comments:

Post a Comment