Thursday, May 7, 2015

Hello from Greece No. 4

Hello Everyone!

I have to ask... Did anyone figure out what we were having for lunch in the other e-mail?  See closeup photo below:  
Here's cousin Nikos (Despina's husband) preparing them for lunch (more of an hor d'oeuvres).  Think of them similar to caviar or escargot....  If you guessed sea urchins... you'd be correct!


The eggs inside are very similar to caviar (but not quite as salty).  Nikos harvested these from the sea less than an hour before they were served.  This along with fresh fish.  Delicious!

We made a trip to Thessaloniki today, and on the way stopped by the American Farm School.  I know some of you went there for a summer.  The purpose of the trip was to visit Aunt Maro and Aunt Tula.  We also needed to pick up some lighting for the party.  We're hoping for nice weather on May 14th, but you never know.  We're on the very end of the rainy season.  If they're predicting rain, the party will be in the schoolhouse.  I hope it will be outside so we can have the Greek Dancers.  Depending on how many actually show up, we're probably looking at 65 cousins.  Everyone here is related some how.  
As I've been going around the village I've been kissed so many times I feel like a celebrity.  The ladies were trying to decide on what type of flower arrangements for the party (all harvested from the hills.. nothing purchased from a florist).  The surrounding hills are covered with wildflowers.   
Below is a photo on the return trip.  This is Fokea, which is where Nekatria's husband Yannis was born.  
This is an old medieval fortress built to protect the harbor from pirates.  You'll pass by this on your way to the village.
Better run... I haven't eaten anything in over an hour and the family is convinced I need to eat again.  I think they're trying their best to make sure I can't wear any of my clothes on the return flight home.  Here's my current snack!



It never hurts when one of your cousins happens to own the bakery in the village.....  Despina works there also.

How can you say "no" to this sweet person....  I'm also staying at her and Niko's house.
Love to all... and see you soon!
Chris and Uncle Theo

No comments:

Post a Comment